Succulents in a Cupcake Stand

I bought a cupcake stand last year because it was a good deal and I thought it was super cute. I especially liked the little swirls that made the baskets. It seemed so playful. When I got this last batch of cuttings to make my succulent wreath I had some left over so I was trying to figure out something creative that I could do with them.

Some of the links below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you click on that link and make a purchase. I only recommend products I’ve used and love unless stated otherwise.

This succulent filled cupcake stand made such a great centerpiece!

I had been keeping the cuttings in the same room as my food styling props and immediately I knew I wanted to do something with the cupcake stand. I had purchased some Spanish moss at the dollar store so I thought I’d try my hand at doing a little arrangement with the stand.

Succulent Cuttings in a Cupcake Stand - Succulents and Sunshine

I had a lot of fun making mini arrangements in each basket. Something I heard recently about arranging pots is the phrase “thriller, filler, spiller.” I’m not totally sure where I heard the phrase so if someone recently invented that idea please let me know so I can give them proper credit. I think I may have heard Debra Lee Baldwin use the phrase in one of her videos. Here are some of the succulents I used:

Succulent in a Cupcake Stand for a Table Centerpiece or Decoration - Succulents and Sunshine

Detail Shot of Succulents in a Cupcake Stand - Succulents and Sunshine

Aeonium Kiwi in Cupcake Stand - Succulents and Sunshine

The idea is that a good guideline for arranging pots is to have a plant that has some height (thriller), something to fill in most of the pot (filler), and another plant that hangs over the edge (spiller). I tried to keep that in mind with each individual basket and in the stand as a whole. Overall, I think this turned out pretty cute! It would be fun to mix in some cupcakes too if you were using it for an event such as a wedding or bridal shower. It would make a great table centerpiece!

Colorful Succulent Cuttings in a Cupcake Stand - Succulents and Sunshine

A Variety of Succulents in a Cupcake Stand - Succulents and Sunshine

You could also put the plants in a cupcake-sized container (rather than the Spanish moss) so you can leave the plants in longer. If you did this, it would make it easy to give away the succulents as gifts too! I can imagine a table full of succulents in cute little containers given away at a wedding or business meeting even.

2017-09-18T23:18:23+00:00

1. Florence May 6, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Hi Cassidy!
    Great idea for the cupcake stand! I have one just like it I bought at a garage sale & I haven’t known what to do with it yet. So I might “borrow” your idea…and as a newbie blogger myself, if I use it there, may I link up with you? I would love it if you would check out my blog too…
    Thanks so much!
    Florence

• Cassidy Tuttle May 6, 2016 at 11:38 pm

That’s awesome you found a similar cupcake stand! I haven’t seen one like it since. I’d be happy to have you link up on your blog :) Looks great!

2. […] I hate to admit it, but this was sort of a fail, even though we tenderly nursed it along. Check out this wonderful repurpose of a Wilton cupcake holder with succulents by Cassidy Tuttle, where I got the idea. Hers looks sooo much better! http://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/succulents-in-a-cupcake-stand/ […]

3. Florence August 8, 2016 at 11:17 am

Hi Cassidy!

Just letting you know I finally got around to writing a blog post about planting in a Wilton cupcake stand, but YOURS looks sooo much better than mine! I think mine goofed b/c of the type of succulents I used. Anyway I did show a photo of yours and a link to your article and blog, so if you want to go by & check it out…maybe even post to your social channels.

Here’s the link if you feel inclined to check it out: http://www.vintagesouthernpicks.com/create-late-summer-color-with-hardy-plants-in-cool-yard-sale-junk/

Florence

• Cassidy Tuttle August 18, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

4. Amelia Casuar November 1, 2016 at 2:55 pm

What a sweet looking happy family you got!!!.
    Thank you so much for a direct, simple tips I read everyday from you.I’m just a new lover of succulents and this gives me inspiration to start and end my day looking at my collections.

• Cassidy Tuttle November 7, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Thank you! Glad I can help :)

5. Nancy July 10, 2017 at 7:51 pm

The phase, thriller, filler and spiller is from Laura Eubanks of Design for Serenity. She has wonderful videos and FB pages.

• Cassidy Tuttle July 13, 2017 at 11:12 am

I definitely love Laura and all her advice! It seems the phrase is pretty commonly used in the world of gardening, but I first heard it from Debra.

6. Mizukana August 13, 2017 at 9:08 am

Hi Cassidy!

It’s me again.

i wonder what kind of plant that you use for that succulent arrangement, the kind that you use for planting (instead of using soil..) ?

thank you..

• Chantile -- Succulents and Sunshine Success Team August 14, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Spanish Moss was used in the cupcake holder arrangement. You can get it here:

Comments are closed.