How to Make a Living Succulent Wreath

Learn how to make a living succulent wreath with this step by step photo tutorial! This fun DIY project is sure to make a statement on your front door!

Ta da! My succulent wreath tutorial is here! I know you’ve all been anxiously waiting right? :) I took pictures along the way and turned them into a video of sorts. It was a fun but very time consuming process to create the wreath but totally worth it in the end. I can’t wait until the roots develop and it gets warm enough to hang outside!

Making a succulent wreath is so much fun! Find out how in this post!

Let me start off by saying that this process was a lot more difficult than I expected. It’s not terribly hard, but it definitely presented some challenges. Overall I’m pleased with how the living wreath turned out and I’m excited to see how it grows. There is a little video at the end that shows start to finish what I did with the wreath.

Here’s what you’ll need to make your own succulent wreath:

With that, here is what I did!

Buy or Create a Spangham Moss Wreath Frame

After seeing what other people have done with living wreaths and succulent wreaths, I decided that rather than making my own wreath base I would just buy one. Daniel (who I bought my original succulent cuttings from) recommended getting a form from Topiary Artworks. After looking around a little more, I decided they were the best option. They have great quality wreaths and their prices are terrific. I bought the 15″ Living Wreath.  It is a pretty good size and with the 200 succulent cuttings I got, I had plenty of plants to fill it with.

Soak the Moss Wreath

Basic instructions for making a wreath came with my purchase. The most important part of this whole process (well, at least initially) is making sure the wreath is fully soaked before you begin adding cuttings. I had thought it would be nice to work with the wreath dry, but it just falls apart. Once soaked all the way through (I soaked mine in the bathtub for about 15 minutes), the wreath is very easy to work with although it weighs a lot! I’ll be glad when it drys out a little so the wreath isn’t as heavy.

Soak your moss wreath before starting - Living Succulent Wreath - Succulents and Sunshine

Plan Your Design

I realized after the fact that it would have been smart for me to take a picture of how I designed the wreath before creating it. Basically, I just laid out all of the cuttings in a circle the approximate size of my wreath. This was a really great thing to do. I was able to see if the overall design is what I wanted and I got an idea of how many cuttings it would actually take to make it look right. Unless you are very confident in your design skills (and even if you are…) this is a step I would not skip. It will help your wreath look better in the end and you’ll use your cuttings more efficiently.

Making a Living Succulent Wreath - Succulents and Sunshine

Check out this post to learn about the concept of “thriller, filler, spiller”. It inspired the design for this wreath. I knew I wanted to have one larger cutting near the bottom (thriller) and I purchased a large pot of the String of Pearls variety of succulent to use to make the wreath unified and add a more flowing element (spiller).

Use Scissors or a Dowel to Poke Holes in the Wreath then Add the Cuttings

Now the fun (and hard work) begins! You’ll need some sort of tool to poke holes in the wreath. I decided to use scissors since the size was about right, but you could use a pencil, a dowel, a stick, or anything else you can think of. Once you have a hole, put your cutting in it and, viola!

If you need to hang your wreath up sooner than 6 weeks after making it you’ll want to purchase some greening pins (like giant bobby pins or the wire things that you use to hold curlers in your hair). Basically, the pin goes over a leaf or the stem of the cutting and into the wreath to help hold it in place. Even though my wreath was laying flat (as it should be) I had some cuttings that didn’t want to stay put. Some didn’t have a very long stem or, in the case of the string of pearls, just wouldn’t go in a hole in the wreath. So, moral of the story… buy greening pins!

Make succulent growing easy and fun with this ebook on growing succulents indoors

How to Make a Living Succulent Wreath - Succulents and Sunshine

Keep the Succulent Wreath Flat for 6-8 Weeks

Like I said earlier, you’ll want to leave your wreath flat for at least 6-8 weeks until the cuttings have fully rooted. Otherwise, all your hard work will go to waste! It would not be fun to hang up the wreath only to have all the plants fall off!

Now you’re all set to make your very own succulent wreath! Click here to see another succulent wreath I made for my sister in law. Also, learn how to take care of your succulent wreath here!

Succulent Wreath - Succulents and Sunshine

2017-10-05T15:54:08+00:00

1. Amy April 21, 2013 at 1:28 am - Reply

That is gorgeous!! Was 200 the amount you put in? How will you water it once its up or will you leave it to get moisture from the air? I’m excited about making this!!!

• Cassidy April 22, 2013 at 9:21 am - Reply

I probably used just over 100 cuttings. The wreath was 15″ and I didn’t do all around the sides otherwise I would have used more. Once the wreath dries out I’ll probably soak it for a few minutes or just spray it every few days.

• Cassidy April 22, 2013 at 9:24 am - Reply

I forgot to say, if you do make one please share! I would love to see it!

• Amy Parfitt May 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm - Reply

I am just shopping for all the succulents! Although they aren’t as easy to buy as they seem to be in the USA. I will share my finished product!

• Cassidy May 2, 2013 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Good luck! I would love to see it when you are done!

2. Sandy Weir April 22, 2013 at 1:38 am - Reply

Your wreath is just stunning! Thank you for sharing your experience!

3. Candice Suter April 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm - Reply

Great post and love the revolving video! Love the design!

4. Rose April 23, 2013 at 2:02 am - Reply

I sell succulent plants for only $2.00 per rooted pot – cheapest in Tasmania – my tip for propergating cuttings is to simply take cuttings from the mother plant and just lay leaves cuttings on ground next to original – around end of Summer is a good time – within a couple of weeks neglect, you will have all cuttings and leaves having roots on them – somply pot up each one separately or start your wreath this way – cheers, Rose

• Cassidy April 23, 2013 at 7:51 am - Reply

Thanks for the tip Rose!

• sam August 19, 2013 at 11:47 pm - Reply

dear rose i would like to buy some succulents, can you send them to australia, or do you know of a good supplier here? nsw near byron bay! thank you

• Robynne Huckerby December 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm - Reply

Where a outs in Tasmania are you?i would love to purchase some plants.

5. rose April 23, 2013 at 2:07 am - Reply

Hi – I would like to know what the filling in wreath is made of please – is it wired cottonwool, some type of soil??? – I have no idea, but would love to know please – cheers, Rose

• Stefan Przystanski April 23, 2013 at 6:01 am - Reply

Rigid wire form is filled solid with long fiber sphagnum moss and wrapped with mono-filament. No soil. Please note that sphagnum moss is a growing medium.

• Cassidy April 23, 2013 at 7:53 am - Reply

Thank you for commenting! This is perfect!

• Cassidy April 23, 2013 at 7:53 am - Reply

Stefan is right on!

6. Layanee April 23, 2013 at 6:04 am - Reply

That is quite lovely.

7. LJG April 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm - Reply

How do you get such great pictures? The colors are so vibrant! I wish I could get my pictures to look like that.

• Cassidy April 23, 2013 at 10:27 pm - Reply

It helps that I’m a photographer by profession :) But, really it is all about the lighting. Thank you so much for stopping by!

8. Ellen April 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

How long does one of your wreaths last? Can it survive the winter indoors? Beautiful but summer is short!

• Cassidy April 29, 2013 at 9:24 pm - Reply

I’m not 100% sure how long it will last, but I plan on using it again next summer too. It should be fine inside during the winter as long as it gets enough light. We have some strong grow lights in one of the rooms of our house so it should be ok. I agree, summer is too short to just enjoy it then! I plan to keep it out as long as possible but it will definitely come inside at the first sign of frost.

9. Chelsea May 2, 2013 at 9:25 am - Reply

Well, I see now that my post about wreath making was too late! But your wreath turned out so beautiful! I love it!!

• Cassidy May 2, 2013 at 11:21 am - Reply

Thanks! Your tutorial was great. I didn’t have the patience to make the sphagnum wreath part. Way to go on that!

10. […] cuttings to create this living work of art. Want to give it a try for yourself? Check out her detailed tutorial and step-by-step video for all the guidance you’ll need to get it done. Tip: The Succulents and […]